Just because your hair started graying doesn’t mean you can’t wear makeup. There are plenty of options for gray hair when it comes to eyebrow pencils.
That brings us to the question, what color eyebrow pencil should be used for gray hair? We have compiled a list of all eyebrow pencils you can use on gray hair. Read on to find what they are!
Based on the base color of your hair, you can use a dark brown eyebrow pencil for gray hair with dark undertones. For completely gray hair, a gray eyebrow pencil is the best. If the underlying color of your gray hair is blonde and there are still some blond strays left, use a taupe pencil.
Ultimately, your gray hair’s base color and current condition determine which eyebrow pencil you should use. Let’s find the best color eyebrow pencil for gray hair.
What are the Best Color Eyebrow Pencils for Gray Hair?
Depending on whether your hair is completely gray, has a blonde or dark underlying color, you can use the following eyebrow pencils:
- For Completely Gray Hair: It is best to use an eyebrow pencil at least two shades darker than your actual gray hair. Don’t opt for the same shade as your hair, as it can downgrade your final look. You can also choose two different shades. One darker than your gray hair and the other lighter. The darker one will act as a base, while the lighter one will be used to highlight certain areas.
- For Blonde Underlying Color: The great thing about blonde hair is that it blends seamlessly with gray hair. If there’s still a hint of blonde left in your hair, use a taupe eyebrow pencil to get a natural finish. You can also use a blonde eyebrow pencil that’s at least one to two shades darker than your actual hair color.
- For Dark Underlying Color: Dark underlying color is perhaps the hardest to find the perfect shade of eyebrow pencil for graying hair. If your hair is not entirely gray but a more salt-pepper color, you should get an eyebrow pencil that matches the darker tones of your hair. A dark brown pencil is a good idea if there’s still brown in your hair.
If your brows have grays, use stroke-like motions to color the grays. This will give your brows a natural look. Fill in the brows completely to make them look thicker and fuller for a dramatic look. Always use a spoolie brush to blend out the product.
How to Choose Eyebrow Pencils Based on Undertones?
Color contrast is everything in makeup. If you feel that your makeup doesn’t look as great anymore because of gray hair, it’s probably because you’re not using the correct eyebrow pencil. Your skin’s undertone can change, and for choosing the perfect shade of eyebrow pencil, you need to know your skin’s undertone. Here are some shades you can use based on your skin’s undertone:
- Warm Undertone: If your skin has a warm undertone, you should look for eyebrow pencils that have yellowish tones to them.
- Cool Undertone: Pinkish eyebrow pencils are a better option if you have a cool undertone.
- Neutral Undertone: Neutral undertones are the easiest to work with. You can use both yellow or pink tones eyebrow pencils or any shades that lie between the two.
If you still struggle to find the right shade, apply a small amount of eyebrow pencil at the back of your hand. It will help you in deciding which colors look best on your skin.
How to Find Your Skin’s Undertone for Choosing an Eyebrow Pencil?
Everyone knows there are three types of undertones; warm, cool, and neutral. But how do you determine which undertone is yours? It’s simple, by looking at the color of your veins, you can determine your undertone. This will help you choose the right makeup, including your eyebrow pencil.
- Warm: People with warm undertones have green veins. If you place your wrist under direct sunlight, you’ll see a tint of green in your veins.
- Cool: Generally, people with cool undertones have purple or blue veins. They can also be a mix of the two colors.
- Neutral: If your veins are a mixture of green and blue, you have a neutral undertone.
Which Lighting Is Best for Determining Undertone for Eyebrow Pencil?
It’s common to get a false undertone under different lights. Fluorescent lights or any other artificial lights won’t let you assess your skin’s undertone accurately. The best way to get the proper evaluation of your skin’s undertone is to hold your wrist out under sunlight.
Once you know your correct undertone, finding the right eyebrow pencil will be no less than a breeze. Undertones are important because they add contrast to your face. Using incorrect shades of eyebrow pencil can make your face lose contrast.
Do Eyebrow Pencils Come in Gray Color?
You don’t have to worry about not finding the right shade of eyebrow pencil anymore. These days, they are available in a plethora of shades, including gray. They come in a wide variety of gray colors. You’ll find gray eyebrow pencils available in warm, cool, and neutral undertones, plus they come in all shades of gray. It’s better to choose a shade of gray that’s one to two tones darker than your hair color for a more natural look.
Can You Use Lighter Shades of Eyebrow Pencil?
There are no hard and fast rules, but using lighter shades than your hair color can make your face look dull or washed out. It’s better to choose a shade that’s darker than your hair color, even if your hair is completely gray.
If only a few strands of your hair are gray, match the eyebrow pencil to the darker shade, but take it one to two tones higher. But if you have jet black hair, you can tone it down a bit if you don’t want a dramatic look.
How to Match Eyebrow Pencil to Dyed Hair?
If you have dyed your hair to any natural color such as brown, black, or blonde, you can use an eyebrow pencil that’s one to two shades darker. Taupe, blonde, or dark brown pencils are great options.
But if your gray hair is dyed an unnatural color such as bright red, pink, or electric blue, you can opt for neutral colors that match your natural hair. In this case, your undertone will help significantly in determining the right shade of eyebrow pencil.
Simply put, complete gray hair should be paired with a darker shade of gray eyebrow pencil. A dark brown pencil would look great for darker hair, and for blonde hair, a taupe of blonde pencil that’s at least one shade darker is a good option.
Besides that, your undertone also helps find the right shade and adds contrast to your face. Let us know in the comments what color eyebrow pencil you use on gray hair.