Eyeliners and mascaras are two makeup staples that you just can’t live without. No matter what kind of makeup look you’re going for, both eyeliner and mascara instantly add depth and definition to your face.
But the real question is, should your eyeliner and mascara match? Read on to find out!
No hard and fast rule says you should match your eyeliner and mascara. Although, black eyeliner and black mascara make a classic combination that you can’t go wrong with. Of course, if you want to tone down your look, you can always wear brown eyeliner and black mascara.
Since you can try any combination of eyeliner and mascara, you can get as creative as you’d like. Read on to find out the best color combinations of eyeliner and mascara.
What are the Best Mascara and Eyeliner Combos?
There are numerous mascara and eyeliner combinations that you can go for depending on the type of look you’re hoping to create. Here are some options for you to choose from:
- Black Eyeliner and Black Mascara: Black eyeliner with black mascara is classic. No matter what look you want to create, these two look perfect together. This combo looks particularly stunning when you create a bold eye look.
- Brown Eyeliner and Black Mascara: You can choose a brown eyeliner instead of a black one and pair it up with black mascara for a more toned down and natural look. The brown and black combination looks elegant and adds instant charm to your face.
- Black Eyeliner with Purple Mascara: If you want to make a fashion statement, opt for a black eyeliner paired with purple mascara. The purple mascara adds a pop of color to your eyes and looks fabulous.
- Brown Eyeliner and Red Mascara: Find brown eyeliner in red tones and use it with a reddish-brown mascara. The red-brown color contrast looks surprisingly beautiful and can be worn to parties or any other special event.
In short, you can use any color combination you’d like. Matching eyeliner with mascara isn’t always necessary. If you want to create an Instagram-worthy look, you can experiment with any color you like and create a unique look for yourself.
But keep in mind that not everyone can pull off bold colors. The safest option is to choose black eyeliner and black mascara.
Should Mascara Be Worn Before or After Eyeliner?
Many people are often confused about whether they should put on eyeliner or mascara first. Here are some easy steps that will tell you in which order the products need to be applied:
- Primer: Even if you don’t plan on applying eyeshadow, you should always prime your eyes. Priming your eye area will allow your eyeliner to sit on your skin for long without smudging.
- Eyeliner: After priming, you should apply your eyeshadow. If you don’t want to wear eyeshadow, skip to the next step; eyeliner. Your eyeliner should always be worn before the mascara.
- Mascara: After carefully applying eyeliner, you should wear your mascara. If you wear mascara before applying eyeliner, your eyelashes will get in the way, and you may not be able to get an even eyeliner application.
Simply put, eyeliner should always be worn before mascara. Of course, you can add finishing touches to your eyeliner after mascara application, but it is better to wear eyeliner ahead of mascara.
Which Brush is Best for Applying Eyeliner and Mascara?
Eyeliner and mascara are both tricky to apply. But if you have the right brushes, you can apply both like a pro. Here are the best brushes for eyeliner and mascara application:
- For Eyeliner Application: If you want to create a wing or cat-eye look, use an eyeliner brush with an angled tip. It gives easy application. You can also use a small pointed brush for more control and precision.
- For Mascara Application: Mascaras generally comes with a spoolie brush. But if the brush is too big for your eyes, it can smudge mascara everywhere and even make your lashes look clumped. To avoid this, use a small spoolie brush for the upper lashes and an even smaller one for your lower lashes.
Can You Wear Mascara Without Eyeliner?
If you’re going for a natural, no-makeup look and simply want to highlight your features without going over the top, you can wear mascara without eyeliner. Your mascara will add fullness and bring out your eyes more.
But if you want a more dramatic look minus the eyeliner, you can opt for a bolder shade of mascara instead of choosing plain black mascara. You’ll find mascaras in a wide range of colors, including purple, blue, orange, and more.
Which Mascara Suits All Eyes?
No matter what color eyes, lashes, or hair you might have, black mascara looks amazing on every eye. You don’t need to think twice before purchasing black mascara. But if you want to match your natural eye or lash color, you can always choose any other color that matches your eyes.
If you want to add a splash of color, you can always choose a colored mascara based on your skin’s undertone. A purple mascara for people with a cool undertone would look amazing, while people with a warm undertone can opt for red mascaras. A neutral undertone allows room for experimenting with any color.
Can You Wear Eyeliner Without Mascara?
Eyeliner makes your eyes pop but pairing it with mascara adds a lift. But if you already have thick lashes, you can choose not to wear mascara. There is no dead set rule that says you have to wear mascara. But sometimes, not wearing mascara can make your makeup look incomplete.
But in the end, it is entirely your choice whether you decide to wear eyeliner with or without mascara. To compensate for not wearing mascara, you can wear a blue or dark brown eyeliner on your top lid and waterline.
Can You Wear Brown Mascara with Black Eyeliner?
Brown eyeliner and black mascara look wonderful together, but can the color combination be the other way around?
Brown mascara and black eyeliner are also an interesting combination, but brown mascara doesn’t look as magical as a black one when using black eyeliner. It is better to opt for black mascara with black eyeliner instead of brown mascara.
If you really want to use brown mascara, you should pair it with brown eyeliner to complete your look.
There is no need to match your eyeliner with mascara, but there’s no harm in doing so if you want to play it safe. Your best bet would be to wear black eyeliner with black mascara, but you can also wear brown eyeliner with black mascara.
For a bold look, you can experiment with a different color. Let us know in the comments what color eyeliner and mascara you wear.